Home My Books About Me Contests

Friday, May 20, 2011

Canada, The Wrap-Up

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is all. After a three-month period of travel, touring, lost socks, misplaced luggage, cramped airline seating accommodation and more hotels than I can count, I am finally going home FOR A WHOLE THREE MONTHS.
I really didn't think this day would come.
What did I learn?

1. Granola bars and water can sustain a person for weeks.
2. 'Tis better to tour with others than 'tis to tour solo.
3. Really nice hotels charge exorbitant amounts for wifi, while really bad hotels provide it free. Conundrum?
4. Even at the ripe old age of 27, it's possible to get homesick.
5. Boyfriends come and go, but the pleasures of room service are forever.

Seriously, though, I had an amazing time in Toronto these past whirl-wind few days, as evidenced by the fact that I am going home with a suitcase newly stuffed with letters, a beautiful fan-made poster, and CHOCOLATE! I think I've eaten more cookies since I've been in Canada than since I was a child, and yesterday, a fabulous fan gifted Veronica Roth and me with goodie-bags filled with all the great sources of caffeine: coffee, and Canadian cocoa derivatives. Clearly, she knows me!
Veronica and I even got to make our mark by leaving chocolate-stamped hand prints on the wall of the adorable cafe/chocolatier Moroco Chocolat (if you live within driving distance of Toronto, so worth a stop!). Check out the pics below:
(Veronica had just been invited to sample the chocolate on her hand--a mix of 99% cocoa that apparently does NOT taste very sweet.)

It wasn't all chocolate and macarons, of course. We met so many engaged and avid readers and booksellers and fans--it was a pleasure and a surprise to see how many of our Northern neighbors have responded so strongly to our books. So Canada: thank you for being such a fabulous way to round out this crazy, crazy couple of months. Stay delicious, and I hope to see you again soon!

6 comments:

Pam Harris said...

So jealous I couldn't catch you on tour--especially you AND Veronica Roth! :( Glad you finally made it home, though. I hope you get much needed rest.

Midnight Bloom said...

It was very nice meeting you when you were at Indigo Yorkdale on Tuesday. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in Canada! :)

Christinabean said...

So sorry I was not able to meet you while you were visiting Toronto (darn it! some of us work night shifts!!). Have loved all your blog posts and love for us Canucks though. Liz (Midnight Bloom) so jealous that you got to go!!

Reader Unfolded said...

So glad to have you here! Thank for visiting my blog post about last night's signing :) It was such a great experience for me.

The beautiful bookplates you liked are called "This Book Belongs To" by Grady McFerrin. Half of them are blank and half say "This book belongs to" on them. There is one other set of designs besides the ones you saw too. You can get them here on Amazon or The Book Depository:
http://www.bookdepository.com/This-Belongs-Grady-McFerrin/9780811867573

http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Belongs-McFerrin-Bookplates/dp/0811867579/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_other?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305938185&sr=1-1

Thanks again! (I can't stop saying that...)

Library Gal @Lost in the Library said...

Loved meeting you Lauren, I was at the Brampton event and you and Veronica were fabulous. You both seemed so at ease and I wish I had thought of something witty and intelligent to say to you other than I love your books, but nothing came to me. Thanks again, I'll treasure my signed Delirium always.

Natalie said...

I got to see you and Veronica in Brampton :) You were both very witty and inspiring to listen to! I hope you come back to Canada sometime soon! Like the two girls in the front row who were begging you to tell them if Alex lives or dies I am desperately awaiting the release of the next book in the Delirium series!

Post a Comment

 

Content by Lauren Oliver - Copyright 2011. Blog designed by Ella Press Studio - 2011.

Author Photo by Jonathan Alpeyrie - Copyright 2010. Original Font Idea by Erin Fitzsimmons - 2010.