Home My Books About Me Contests

Thursday, October 29, 2009

That Which We Call a Rose, By Any Other Name...

...Would smell as Sweet?

Possibly, though not necessarily if written in German!

Okay, here's the deal: I absolutely love Germany, and the German language. My favorite philosophers are all German (Kant; Nietzsche; Schopenhauer); some of my favorite writers are German (Goethe; Hesse; Brecht); Beethoven was German...and, of course, nobody does beer and sausages (two of my favorite things) as well as the Germans!

But I think it's fair to say that the German language isn't as melodic as, let's say, French...

Point is, I just received an email about the German translation of the title of my book. Ladies and Gentlemen, the German version of "Before I Fall" is... (drumroll, please)...

"Wenn du stirbst, zieht dein ganzes Leben an dir vorbei, sagen sie".

Which translates to something like:

"When you die, your whole life will pass before your eyes, they say"

As my agent says...just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? :P

Seriously, I'm thrilled, thrilled, thrilled to be published there and don't care whether they call my book GobbledyGook and the Story of Nonsense (okay, I might mind that), but I just had to share. You have to admit--it's kinda funny.

4 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

YAY! The Germans certainly love their long titles :)

barnsdale11 said...

It is almost longer than the book itself O.o

Lauren said...

That is pretty funny. I don't really get it, since the German language does *have* the words Before, I and Fall.

Heather Zundel said...

That is so cool! I love the title. There's a kind of poetry to it, I think. :)

Post a Comment

 

Content by Lauren Oliver - Copyright 2011. Blog designed by Ella Press Studio - 2011.

Author Photo by Jonathan Alpeyrie - Copyright 2010. Original Font Idea by Erin Fitzsimmons - 2010.